Last year, I started listening to Original Broadway Cast recordings on Spotify. Every time I listen to musicals, it made me want more. Consi...

A Taste of Korean musicals with Kim Ji-hoon's 내가 술래가 되면 (When I Become It)

19:37 OMG 0 Comments

Last year, I started listening to Original Broadway Cast recordings on Spotify. Every time I listen to musicals, it made me want more. Considering how it's not possible to watch one live right now, I just listened to them over and over. Still, I wanted more.

I knew that musicals are big in South Korea. Some members from Super Junior have done numerous musicals before so I knew about them. Well, I thought I did. While browsing youtube, I found tons and tons of Korean musical clips! In a few days, I've memorized the lyrics to the Korean version of Kinky Boots. ASDFJKLFDFGHJ KANG HONG-SEOK AND CHOI JAE-RIM.

Anyway, last night a video of a show got recommended to me by youtube and omg, I just needed to show everyone it. The video is from a Korean TV show called Double Casting where unknown musical actors compete for the spotlight they've always dreamed of. This song in particular made me bawl my eyes out. It's called 내가 술래가 되면 (When I Become It) from the original Korean musical 귀환 (Return). I did not know anything about the musical when I watched the video but the song really hurt. For real, it was painful. I wanted to show it to everyone but it did not have subtitles.

It's been a while since I did subtitles so I thought maybe I should give it a try so here you go. 


The role of Seung-ho is older in age as he's a Korean War veteran coming home in search of his friends' remains. Kim Ji-hoon in comparison was only 26 years old when he performed this. He really nailed the emotions portrayed in the song. I cry every time I watch this. Yes, even when I was translating the lyrics.

I bet you'll all cry too so here's a consolation. Kang Hong-seok's amazing performance of Land of Lola from Kinky Boots. You can get hyped after the crying.




Bonus: The Last Five Years performed by theatre students from Hansei University.


You bet I'm watching one when I go to South Korea once it's okay to travel again.


0 comments: